Friday, January 14, 2011

Cancer touches everyone.

As we were waiting for dinner last night an older man stepped up next to us and asked Eyleen how much longer she had of her treatments. At first I wondered if she knew him but then realized she was rocking the beaubeau and had a shirt on that showed her port scar. He spoke to her about his wife who’d passed away from breast cancer that’d gone into her esophagus and told her in length that the key to beating cancer was your mind set. He told her a story about a friend that was told he had terminal cancer and they couldn’t operate. Everyday this man would have his wife drive him to Krispy Kreme for a dozen donuts then to the running track. Everyday he’d go a little bit further running and he’d say he was getting better. That was 18 years ago and the man said he still sees his friend all the time looking as good as he ever has.
He told me that I needed to take care of her and then excused himself only to come back a minute later and ask Eyleen her name and tell her that he was going to put her name on his church’s prayer list.
He also spoke about how Dr. Marks was an excellent doctor and he’s the best in Jacksonville, and if he thinks Eyleen is doing good then she really is because he doesn’t fool around.
I think I’m getting sick so Eyleen slept in the guest bedroom last night away from my cooties. I also got away from her crazy snoring. She’s not only lost the hair on her head but also the hair in her nose so she’s been having CRAZY snoring. It was so bad the other night I was having a nightmare and this horrible sound was in the dream. I woke up and the sound was still going on and for a minute I panicked before I realized the noise was Eyleen. They don’t tell you about the nose hair going. I think they need to start telling people about that.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Eyleen!

    Know how proud we are of you and the courage you have to fight this thing. Keep it up, girl! We're all behind you!

    Kirk spent some time with your mom and dad today at school. Heard you all had a great time together! I'm sure you had lots of those fun "Murphy moments"! They say laughter is the best medicine....so if you every need a laugh, you know who to call! We love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's cool you ran into that guy and he told you that Eyleen's doctor is the best in Jacksonville. I know that was great to hear!

    I didn't realize hairs in the nose and snoring were linked.....my husband snores awful...I've had crazy dreams like that myself. Haa haa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Nose hairs?! Is nothing sacred?

    I feel for that man. He's definitely got a point, it's all in your mind set. And Eyleen has been tough from the get go, so I'm 100% positive she'll do great. And you better not give her your cooties, woman!

    ReplyDelete